A’ja Wilson sweeps 2018 WNBA Rookie of the Month Awards
There‘s no need for the WNBA to wait on handing out the 2018 Rookie of the Year Award. No rookie player came close to threatening South Carolina product and phenom A’ja Wilson’s reign as the most consistent and outstanding first-year pro on the court this regular season. The Las Vegas Aces center swept the honor for the season, winning it in June, July and August.
While her squad narrowly missed making the playoffs this season, the failure of the Aces to enter postseason play in no way diminishes the impact Wilson had this season. This summer, she averaged rookie bests of 20.7 points (tied for third in the WNBA), 8.0 rebounds (sixth) and 1.67 blocks (sixth).
She became the second rookie in WNBA history to average at least 20.0 points per game, joining Seimone Augustus (21.9 ppg in 2006). With Wilson, the Aces (14-20) improved their record by six games from the 2017 season.
A statistical overview of her season:
- Led all rookies in scoring (21.1 ppg), rebounding (9.5 rpg), field goal percentage (45.2), blocked shots (1.62 bpg) and minutes (32.0 mpg).
- Recorded six double-doubles for the month.
- Among all WNBA players, Wilson ranked fifth in scoring and second in rebounding.
- June 12 at Indiana: Scored a career-high 35 points, grabbed 13 rebounds and blocked three shots in 40 minutes in a 101-92 overtime win.
- June 19 at Seattle: Grabbed a career-high 16 rebounds to go with 25 points and six assists in an 89-77 victory.
- June 27 vs. Dallas: Finished with 22 points, 15 rebounds and a career-high eight assists in a 97-91 loss.
- June 29 vs. Los Angeles: Posted 29 points, nine rebounds, four assists and three steals in a 94-78 win.
- Selected for the All-Star Game
- Averaged rookie highs of 18.5 points (ninth in the WNBA), 8.0 rebounds (sixth) and 2.38 blocked shots (second) in eight games in July.
- July 5 vs. Chicago: Scored 24 points and blocked a career-high seven shots in an 84-80 win.
- July 7 vs. Connecticut: Scored 34 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in a 94-90 home win.
- July 13 at Minnesota: Contributed 11 points, 15 rebounds, five assists and four blocks in an 85-77 victory.
- July 19 at Phoenix: Tallied 18 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks in an 85-82 win.
- Scored at least 18 points in all eight games during the month.
- 17 at Dallas: Finished with 34 points (on 15-of-20 shooting from the field), seven rebounds and four blocks in a 107-102 loss.
- 1 vs. Phoenix: Scored 29 points and added six rebounds and four assists in a 104-93 loss.
- 11 vs. Indiana: Contributed 19 points, eight rebounds, two assists, two blocks and two steals in a 92-74 victory.
- 15 vs. New York: Scored 19 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the field in an 85-72 win over the Liberty.