Tina Thompson overtakes Lisa Leslie as all-time WNBA scoring leader
Los Angeles Sparks forward Tina Thompson, the last of the original WNBA players still on a team, became the leagueâ€™s all-time leading scorer Sunday night in a 92-83Â loss against the San Antonio Silver Stars.
She broke the record set by retired Sparks center Lisa Leslie when she scored on a jump shot in the third quarter. Leslieâ€™s record was 6,263 points. Thompson finished the game with 23 points.
The leagueâ€™s scoring leaders:
- Tina Thompson â€“ 6,273
- Lisa Leslie – 6,263
- Katie Smith (Washington Mystics) – 5,695
- Lauren Jackson (Seattle Storm) – 5,678
- Tangela Smith (Phoenix Mercury) – 4,719
Thompson was the leagueâ€™s number one draft pick in its inaugural year in 1997 when she was selected by the Houston Comets. She joined the Sparks in 2008 after the Comets folded.
Around the Web:
- Video of Tina Thompson setting WNBA all-time scoring record
- Just another day for Tina Thompson (espn.com)
- Tina Thompson: The WNBA’s Warrior Is Forced into the Spotlight (swishappeal.com)
- Tina Thompson breaks WNBA career scoring mark in Sparks’ loss (latimes.com)