Los Angeles Sparks seeking a communications manager
During the past WNBA season, new communications directors made their debuts with teams in the league (San Antonio, Tulsa) while others left (New York, Phoenix). Now the Los Angeles Sparks is looking for a communications director to replace Alayne Ingram. The team is in the process of interviewing candidates. The listing from the NBA Careers website:
Communications Manager/Director â€“WNBA Los Angeles Sparks (Los Angeles, CA)
The Los Angeles Sparks, entering our 15th WNBA season, are seeking a dynamic, experienced communications individual to oversee the teamâ€™s media and public relations and communications efforts.
Job Function: Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute strategies for year round positive media coverage for team, management, and overall business initiatives
- Facilitate and manage all media relations and communications needs of all Sparks personnel
- Manage preparation and oversight for Sparks press conferences including messaging, scripts for spokespersons, on-site logistics, and post-conference coverage
- Prepare all communications documents related to announcement and/or breaking news, including press releases, talking points, fan and partner communications
- Provide daily support for Sparks coaches and players including attending all team games and practices
- Manage game day PR including player and coach access, injury reports, media seating chart, media meals, credentials
- Manage media access to all team personnel
- Work closely with Community Relations Manager and support team and WNBA initiatives.
- Prepare spokespersons as needed on a wide range of issues; serve as organization spokesperson as designated
- Develop a crisis communications plan and manage execution of communications strategies in response to potential crises
- Work closely with broadcast partners to drive positive coverage and to increase exposure
- Maintain daily and weekly communication with WNBA communications department and support League media and community programs
- Develop and strengthen relationships with sports and non-sports reporters and editors
- Develop and manage execution of department business plan and operating budget
- Recruit, hire and supervise PR support staff which may include full-time staff, part-time staff, game night staff and interns
- Manage production of all Sparks publications including media guide, annual Yearbook and game day roster
- To provide website game information as well as work with Marketing and Community Relations Staff to provide other content as needed.
- Travel with team as required to away games including pre-season, regular season and playoffs
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 5+ years of public relations and/or communications experience
- NBA/WNBA/Collegiate experience preferred. Community Relations experience a plus.
- Solid record of developing and managing strategic communications strategies and garnering media coverage
- Proven relationship building skills; positive and outgoing personality
- Strong and diverse writing skills (AP writing style and feature writing)
- Experience managing staff
- Available to work evenings and weekends, occasionally on short notice
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the President. Full LA Sparks employee benefits package.