Florida Gulf Coast extends its home winning streak to 42 with WNIT opening round win over Drexel
WNIT Results: Friday, March 18
Florida Gulf Coast (28-3), the Atlantic Sun Conference regular season champion, defeated Drexel 73-67 in WNIT first round action Friday night. It was the 42nd straight home victory for the Eagles, who are in their last year of transition to the Division I level. Only Stanford and Connecticut have longer home winning streaks.
Junior Nicoya Jackson came off the bench to score a team-high 17 points. Senior Shannon Murphy and junior Kelsey Jacobson each finished with 15 points and three rebounds. Redshirt-freshman Sarah Hansen had 10 points, six rebounds and two assists.
Next season FGCU will be eligible to compete in conference and NCAA postseason action.
FGCUâ€™s win advances them to the second round to face Florida (19-14) at home on Monday, March 21 at 7:05 p.m. EST at Alico Arena.
In other action, Florida beat University of Maryland, Baltimore County 59-47. Jordan Jones scored a game-high 18 points for the Gators.
â€œObviously, we are very pleased to be able to win and play another day,â€ said UF head coach Amanda Butler postgame. â€œThere are a lot of things we have to do better and you never know when you have such a huge gap between games, what will happen. We had fantastic practices, but it is a little bit different practicing hard and bringing it to the games. It took us a second to get going but the second half was a little bit more of what we wanted to see based on the practices and preparation that we had.â€
Saturday, March 19
- Auburn at Toledo, 12 p.m. EST
- St. Joseph’s at Boston College, 1:30 p.m. EST
- Utah State at BYU, 5 p.m. EST
- Duquesne at Kansas, 8 p.m. EST
Sunday, March 20
- Illinois State at Wisconsin, 2 p.m. EST
- Charlotte at South Carolina, 2 p.m. EST
- Arkansas at Missouri, 3 p.m. EST
- Alabama at Northwestern, 3 p.m. EST
- Virginia at Loyola, 4 p.m. EST
- Southern Cal at Nevada, 5 p.m. EST
Monday, March 21
- St. Bonaventure at Syracuse, 7 p.m. EST
- Eastern Michigan at UNC Wilmington, 7 p.m. EST
- Florida at Florida Gulf Coast, 7:05 p.m. EST
- Tulane at Oral Roberts, 8 p.m. EST
- California at Colorado, 9 p.m. EST
- Oklahoma State at Wyoming, 9 p.m. EST