Two set, two more coming
(UConn or Duke)
(Baylor or Texas A&M)
On Monday night, the first two slots in this yearâ€™s Final Four were filled. In the first game of the evening, Notre Dame managed to break the losing spell held over them by Tennessee for 20 straight games to beat the Lady Vols for the first time in Irish history. Pat Summittâ€™s team lost 73-59 in the final of the Dayton Regional.
â€œThe first thing the team says was â€˜1-20, 1-20!â€™,â€ said Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw about her squadâ€™s reaction to winning. â€œThe team figured that the law of averages having them winning at least one.â€
Next up, Stanford put the brakes on Gonzagaâ€™s Cinderella season and neutralized the Bulldogs despite the prolific scoring of senior Courtney Vandersloot who finished with 25 points and nine assists.
â€œThey were just better than us,â€ said Vandersloot. â€œThey were tougher than us, they were stronger than us today.â€
Stanford will meet the winner of Tuesdayâ€™s Dallas Region winner, Baylor or Texas A&M.
Notre Dame will face the winner of the Connecticut and Duke game in the Philadelphia Region.
Around the Web
- Irish ends Tennessee curse (southbendtribune.com)
- Notre Dame: No one tougher than senior Becca Bruszewski (southbendtribune.com)
- Lady Vols fall to Notre Dame in Elite Eight, 73-59 (govolsxtra.com)
- Irish beat Tennessee, reach third Final Four (AP)
- Stanford pounds Gonzaga (sfgate.com)
- Stanford ends Gonzagaâ€™s NCAA tourney run (spokesman.com)
- Stanford ends Gonzagaâ€™s run with 83-60 victory (AP)