Game Updates: Minnesota at Los Angeles, June 3, 2011
Friday, June 3, 2011, 11: 00 p.m. ET/8:00 p.m. PT
Minnesota at Los Angeles, Staples Center
Officials: #18 Kurt Walker, #27 Penny Davis, #13 Cameron Inouye
Final: Los Angeles 82, Minnesota 74
Lynx Coach Cheryl Reeve
"We let them have a big run in the third and we couldn’t stop the bleeding. We went from being up to down and we couldn’t get back on top."
Los Angeles’ Candace Parker
"In the first half they killed us on the boards, but we took care of that in the second half. I was proud of our defense in the second half. It showed us what we are capable of."
Parker on playing again in Staples Center
"I was extremely emotional before the game. It has almost been a full year since I have run through the tunnel and I was really excited to get out there. Once I stepped onto the floor I felt that I played 100 percent."
- Sparks vs. Minnesota Game updates from Sue Favor: The new unis of the Sparks have more solid purple and look sharper
- Laurel Richie does the intros before the game then hands the mic to @Candace_Parker who is sporting a full arm gold sleeve "Flo-Jo-ish"
- Minnesota Starters: Maya Moore, Rebekkah Brunson, Taj McWilliams-Franklin, Seimone Augustus, Lindsay Whalen
- Los Angeles Starters: Ticha Penicheiro, Noelle Quinn, Tina Thompson, DeLisha Milton-Jones, Candace Parker
- Several minutes into the game, fans are still streaming in and taking their seats
- Minn driving outside and La settling for outside shots, and missing
- Lynx up 26-20 to open 2nd quarter after an 8-2 run to open second quarter… up 26-20.
- 1:46 – Los Angeles has 6 turnovers for 12 pts. lost and Minnesota 4 for 4 pts. Moore has 10 for the Lynx, the rest in single figures. For Los Angeles Parker has 13, Tina Thompson 11.
- Halftime: Minnesota 43, Los Angeles 37 – Seven lead changes, Five ties
- For Minnesota: Maya Moore, 10 pts – Taj McWilliams-Franklin, 8 pts – Rebekkah Brunson – 6 Pts, 8 Reb, 4 Ast
- For Los Angeles: Candace Parker 13 Pts, 2 Reb, 2 Blk – Tina Thompson 11 pts, 3 reb
- First half FGM-A: Sparks shooting 48.5%, Lynx 43.9%
- The Sparks MC is hip – she’s saying "Aye! Aye!" like the kids.
- CP’s daughter Lailaa and her game BFF Lisa Leslie’s daughter Lauren hanging out, holding hands. Lailaa feeding Lauren a snack.
- Lindsay Whalen begins the quarter with a jumper to give the Lynx’ largest lead of the game so far at 45-37. Los Angeles makes a TO.
- Augustus can’t hit a thing. Minnesota taking outside shots and missing them. Sparks aren’t going hard enough in the paint.
- A trey from Moore puts the Lynx up 50-40. Moore holding up hand like Monica from Love & Basketball after 3-shot :>. Sparks’ Toliver doesn’t do that after hers.
- Pull up jumper from Moore gives her 15 points. 52-43 Lynx.
- Parker with 14, Thompson with 11.
- Spark kids are older this year.
- Three-point game, MIN 54, LA 51 after trey from Noelle Quinn, 2:29
- Another trey by Quinn, 57-54 MIN, 1:14. And another to tie up the game at 57. Los Angeles back in the lead, 59-57. Sparks end the quarter on a 16-5 run. Parker with 16pts 6rebs & Moore 15pts 4asts
- Candace Parker emphatically talking to her teammates. She’s the leader.
- Jenna O’Hea starts the quarter with a trey for the Sparks
- Place is very full, and some seats in upper levels filled. None of my usher homies have seen celebs.
- Ebony Hoffman is way fired up for Los Angeles.
- Jenna O’Hea on fire for Los Angeles, 9 pts. 67-63 LA 7:00
- Sparks’ DeLisha Milton-Jones putback gives Sparks a six-point lead, 69-63.
- Sparks have made ten three-point shots (10 out of 23). 71-67 LA 4:41.
- Sparks GM Penny Toler was having a fit that head coach Jen Gillom looked as if she was going to take O’Hea out of the game. "What is she subbing for? She better not be tryna take Jenna out!" o_O.
- Candace Park contesting a call, politely telling referee Inouye that she’s full of it.
- The "Old School Crew" is still a crowd fave.
- Less than a minute to go: Gillom and Bryant standing and coaching throughout the game. Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve sits down. The west will be tough this year.
- Parker with double-double, 19 points, 10 rebounds, 79-74 less than a minute to go.
- Lisa Leslie’s daughter is so tall. Leaving with Michael Lockwood now. Candace Parker has had the same shooting style since high school, I could imitate it.
- Timeouts galore in the last 44 seconds of the game.
- The Los Angeles Sparks take the first game of the season beating the Minnesota Lynx 82-74. Eight lead changes, Seven ties.
- Candace Parker: 19 points, 10 rebounds || Maya Moore: 21 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists.
- Players that did not get any minutes: LaToya Pringle (Los Angeles), Jessica Adair (Minnesota)