Video: Brittney Griner smashes Big 12 all-time scoring record, scores 40 points and throws down a dunk
Video: Baylor athletics
Just four days after setting a new NCAA record for blocks, Baylor star center Brittney Griner broke the Big 12 women’s career scoring record in a 90-60 rout of rival Texas Tech (16-5, 6-3) in Lubbock Wednesday night in front of 12,871 fans. She finished the game with 40 points, 15 rebounds and seven blocks. The league career-scoring record is now 2,873. No. 1 Baylor (16-5, 6-3) extended its nation’s-best win streak to 18 games.
Her league scoring record came after she scored the first four points of the game. She surpassed former Oklahoma State star Andrea Riley who scored 2,835 points from 2007-2010. Her 40th point of the night came from a two-handed dunk with 2:38 left in the game, the 12th in her career, adding to her NCAA record in that category.
Brooklyn Pope added 14 points for Baylor. Kelsi Baker led Texas Tech with 12 points.
- With seven blocks, Griner extended her NCAA DI career blocks record to 672. She has now recorded a block in 69 straight outings and 129 of her 132 career games.
- Griner has now scored in double-figures in 100 straight games and in 129 of 132 in her career.
- The Lady Bears’ last regular season Big 12 loss was at Texas Tech, 56-45, on Feb. 18, 2011.
- Baylor extended its nation’s-best win streak to 18 games.
- The Lady Bears are 42-1 in regular season Big 12 games over the past three seasons.
- The attendance of 12,871 was 7,209 over Texas Tech’s season average.
- Baylor scored 80 or more points in a game for the 12th time this season.