Preseason: Postgame Notes and Quotes – May 2, 2014 – San Antonio Stars at Tulsa Shock
Post-Game Notes and Quotes – May 2, 2014 – San Antonio Stars @ Tulsa Shock
Final Score: Tulsa Shock 82 San Antonio Stars 59
Preseason: Shock 1-0 / Stars 0-1
- Points: Skylar Diggins, 25
- Rebounds: Courtney Paris, 14
- Assists: Skylar Diggins, 8
San Antonio Stars
- Points: Whyte & Perkins, 9
- Rebounds: Jia Perkins, 4
- Assists: Butler, Perkins & McBride, 2
- Skylar Diggins led the Shock in points (25) and assists (eight).
- Courtney Paris earned a double-double in the Shock’s first preseason game, racking up 10 points and 14 rebounds.Roneeka Hodges was the team’s second leading scorer, recording 18 points.The Shock led the entire game, with its largest lead totaling 26 points.
- Vicki Baugh, Tiffany Jackson-Jones, Nicole Powelll, Odyssey Sims and Riquna Williams were not with the team or did not play.
San Antonio Stars
- Davellyn Whyte and Jia Perkins led the Stars in scoring with nine points each.
- Perkins also led the Stars in rebounds with four and was one of three Stars to record two assists.
- The Stars shot 80 percent from the free throw line, shooting 16-20.
- The Stars racked up eight steals, with Davellyn White leading the team with two.
- Kayla Alexander and Danielle Robinson were not with the team or did not play.
Head Coach Fred Williams on the game:
“We worked on a lot of things the last few days. We’re working on our pick and roll plays and series. I thought Courtney Paris did a good job of that in our post game today, and so did Skylar in our perimeter game.”
Guard Skylar Diggins on Tulsa’s win:
“I’m just trying to come out here and contribute. I wasn’t happy with the product that I put on the floor last year individually. I am just trying to do my part. I think everyone had a part in today’s win. It was good for our fans, seeing them for the first time and giving them a win.”
Center Courtney Paris on playing with Skylar Diggins:
“She is so skilled with the ball and can get to the ball and can get to the basket and pass it. Whenever you are such a good passer and you can finish, it makes it impossible to guard. I’m enjoying playing with her in the pick and roll game.”
Head Coach Dan Hughes on today’s game:
“We have some things to work on. Tulsa played a really good game, and they played a little less people than we had to. They played about 15, and we played about nine, but Tulsa looked really good out there today. It just wasn’t our day, we’re still trying to figure it out.”
Guard Kayla McBride on playing against former teammate Skylar Diggins:
“It was different seeing her on the other side of the court. She’s here for a reason, and it’s good to see her here. I know I learned a lot from her at Notre Dame. It’s just the next chapter.”
Guard Whitney Hand-Jones on being back in Oklahoma:
“I heard a few yell, “Whitney, Whitney!” It’s just good to play basketball again. It’s just been every year, but it’s a privilege. It’s an honor to play here.”