Dishin & Swishin 09/11/14 Podcast: Talking WNBA Finals and USA Basketball tryouts with AP’s Doug Feinberg
We are nearing the conclusion of the WNBA season, but it is also just the beginning for USA Basketball and their quest for the title at the World Championships in Turkey.
On today’s Dishin & Swishin podcast, Associated Press women’s basketball expert Doug Feinberg returns as a guest. Feinberg has been in Annapolis, checking out the beginning of USA Basketball’s training camp, but also keeping an eye on the “Dusting in the Desert,” where Phoenix cruised to a 2-0 lead in the WNBA Finals.
Topics covered in today’s podcast include:
- Is this year’s Phoenix Mercury performance the single greatest in WNBA history?
- Brittney Griner’s maturity and growth, dominating on both ends of the floor.
- Diana Taurasi as one of the greatest finishers and winners in women’s basketball history.
- Would anyone else in the Eastern conference given Phoenix a closer series, and if so, who?
Then it is on to observations and thoughts on USA Basketball camp and the selection of the national team.
- Who is impressing the coaching staff and committee members in attendance.
- Returning players versus new players, the decision facing the selection committee.
- Team breakdown by position, quantity and quality.
- What is the most difficult, and most important, spot to fill.
- Breanna Stewart, college player versus professional in team selection.
The podcast is a great listen that is sure to give you some things to think about while you are watching tonight’s USA Basketball Showcase (7 p.m. ET on ESPN2), Friday’s WNBA finals game three (8 p.m. ET on ESPN2), and Monday night’s USA versus Canada exhibition game (7 p.m., ESPN2).
For tonight’s Showcase, here is the team breakdowns: