Seattle Storm guard Jewell Loyd named 2015 WNBA Rookie of the Year, All-Rookie team announced
Seattle Storm’s Jewell Loyd is the 2015 WNBA Rookie of the Year, the first player in the franchise’s 16-year history to win the honor. She received 21 votes from a national panel of 39 sportswriters and broadcasters. New York Liberty center Kiah Stokes finished second with 16 votes and Indiana Fever center Natalie Achonwa was third with two votes. Stokes’ team is in the playoffs and the rookie led the Liberty to a first-round Eastern Conference finals win over the Indiana Fever last night with 21 points.
Loyd, who attended Notre Dame, was the number one draft pick this past spring after declaring her intention to go pro and skip her senior season and final year of college eligibility. A native of Lincolnwood, IL, the 5-10 guard started 23 out of 34 game this season, averaging 10.7 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game. Her 90.4 free throw percentage was first among rookies and her fourth in the league. She was the Rookie of the Month for July.
In honor of being named the 2015 WNBA Rookie of the Year, Loyd will receive $5,000 and a specially designed trophy by Tiffany & Co.
The Storm failed to make the playoffs this year finishing next to last in the WNBA standings at the end of the regular season with a 10-24 record. However, the Storm will have the most chances to earn another first pick in the draft lottery today.
The league also announced the 2015 All-Rookie team:
|Jewell Loyd||Seattle Storm||Guard||10|
|Kiah Stokes||New York Liberty||Center||9|
|Brittany Boyd||New York Liberty||Guard||8|
|Ramu Tokashiki||Seattle Storm||Forward||6|
|Natalie Achonwa||Indiana Fever||Center||5 (tied)|
|Ana Dabovic||Los Angeles Sparks||Guard||5 (tied)|
Loyd’s rookie season statistics
Previous Rookie of the Year winners
- 2014 – Chiney Ogwumike, Connecticut Sun
- 2013 – Elena Delle Donne, Chicago Sky
- 2012 – Nneka Ogwumike, Los Angeles Sparks
- 2011 – Maya Moore, Minnesota Lynx
- 2010 – Tina Charles, Connecticut Sun
- 2009 – Angel McCoughtry, Atlanta Dream
- 2008 – Candace Parker, Los Angeles Sparks
- 2007 – Armintie Price*, Chicago Sky
- 2006 – Seimone Augustus, Minnesota Lynx
- 2005 – Temeka Johnson, Washington Mystics
- 2004 – Diana Taurasi, Phoenix Mercury
- 2003 – Cheryl Ford, Detroit Shock
- 2002 – Tamika Catchings, Indiana Fever
- 2001 – Jackie Stiles , Portland Fire
- 2000 – Betty Lennox , Minnesota Lynx
- 1999 – Chamique Holdsclaw, Washington Mystics
- 1998 – Tracy Reid, Charlotte Sting
*Now Armintie Herrington