No. 21 Cal faces UC Riverside in home opener, both teams are 2-0
- UC Riverside (2-0) at No. 21 Cal (2-0)
- Friday, November 20, 11:30 am PT
- Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA
- TV/Streaming: Cal Live Stream
- Radio: None
- Live Stats
- Series: 4-1 Cal
Both UC Riverside and Cal are 2-0 to start the season. The Highlanders earned an 86-68 victory on the road at Fresno State last Friday. Monday night at home, UCR defeated San Diego State, 85-68.
UCR had three players score in double figures at SDSU. The team was led by newcomer, redshirt junior Réjane Verin, who finished with 22 points and seven rebounds. Annelise Ito (18 points, 8 rebounds, five assists) and Brittany Crain (16 points, six rebounds) also scored in double figures
Both of Cal’s victories came on the road. First the Bears toppled Austin Peay on Friday, 67-58, followed with a hard-earned victory over then No. 8 Louisville in front of a hostile crowd of 16,524 fans. It was Cal’s first win over a top 10 opponent since 2013.
Four Bears scored in double figures against the Cardinals led by junior Courtney Range’s 19 points and 13 rebounds. Sophomore Mikayla Cowling also earned a double double with 12 points and 11 boards. Freshmen Kristine Anigwe (19 points) and Asha Thomas (16 points) were also key contributors.
- 10 Rejane Verin 19.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg
- 03 Annelise Ito 18.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 6.5apg
- 23 Brittany Crain 17.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg
- 05 Simone DeCoud 8.0 ppg, 4.0rpg, 4.5apg
- 24 Courtney Range 21.0 ppg, 9.0 rpg
- 31 Kristine Anigwe 15.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg
- 01 Asha Thomas 13.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg
- 03 Mikayla Cowling 9.0 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 5.0 apg
- UCR’s road trip also includes a visit to No. 7 Oregon State on Sunday, their first-ever meeting against the Beavers.
- The Highlanders are 1-4 versus Cal, and have lost three in a row including the most recent meeting back in 2007 which resulted in a 65-49 defeat.
- Cal entered the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches polls at No. 21 earlier this week. They were unranked to start the season.
- The Bears also swept the Pac-12 opening week awards with junior Courtney Range winning Player of the Week and Kristine Anigwe taking home Freshman of the Week honors.
- The contest on Friday will be Cal’s second annual School Haas Rock game with an audience of schoolchildren from the local community. It will include a pregame assembly and in-game promotions about sports and science.
- Cal has used the same starters in both of its games: Courtney Range, Mikayla Cowling, Gabby Green, Kristine Anigwe and Asha Thomas.
- The Bears are averaging 50 rebounds per game and outrebounding opponents 100-69.