No. 22 George Washington faces No. 15 Stanford as both teams look to go 3-0
- No. 22/20 George Washington (2-0) at No. 15/10 Stanford (2-0)
- Saturday, Nov. 21, 12:00 pm PT
- Maples Pavilion, Palo Alto, CA
- TV/Streaming: Stanford Live Stream
- Radio: KZSU 90.1FM
- Live Stats
- Series: 2-0 Stanford
Both No. 22 George Washington and No. 15 Stanford are 2-0 to start the season. GW comes off of two home victories routing Grambling State 85-58 last Saturday followed by trouncing American 78-48 this past Tuesday.
GW was the top rebounding team in the nation last season and picked up where it left off a year ago, ranking seventh in the NCAA in rebounding margin (+22.5) through the two contests.
The Colonials are led by junior Caira Washington, sophomore Kelli Prange and senior Jonquel Jones. Washington was named the A-10 Co-Player of the Week for the first week of the season. In the season opener, she had a game-high 23 points to go with eight rebounds and three blocks.
Stanford (2-0) is coming off of a 65-48 win at Gonzaga last Sunday. Junior forward Erica McCall earned a double-double with 23 points and 13 rebounds, while guard Lili Thompson poured in 21 points off the bench. In their season opener against UC Davis, Briana Roberson led the way with 15 points, Erica McCall added 10 points and 11 rebounds and the Cardinal used a dominant third quarter to win, 74-45.
Saturday’s game will mark the third-ever game between GW and Stanford, with the Cardinal winning both previous matchups, including a 76-51 decision in the first round of the 2001 NCAA Tournament. The teams’ only other previous meeting occurred at the 1991 7-Up Desert Classic in Las Vegas.
- 03 Caira Washington 22.0 ppg, 9.5 rpg
- 25 Kelli Prange, 15.0, 6.5 rpg
- 35 Jonquel Jones 10.0 ppg, 8.5 rpg
- 24 Erica McCall 16.5 ppg, 12.0 rpg
- 01 Lili Thompson 15.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg
- 10 Briana Roberson 9.0 ppg
- 11 Alanna Smith 8.5 ppg
- GW senior forward Jonquel Jones and Stanford junior guard Lili Thompson were both named to the John R. Wooden Award Preseason Top 30 this week.
- GW is 2-0 for the first time since 2013. The Colonials have not been 3-0 to start the season since the 2007-08 campaign.
- The Colonials will play five games in eight days on the trip – at Stanford (Nov. 21) and Fresno State (Nov. 23) before heading to Austin, Texas for three games at the Lone Star Showcase Nov. 26-28.
- Stanford has started 2-0 for the second straight year and is looking to go to 3-0 for the first time since 2011-12.
- The Cardinal returns 58.4 percent of its scoring, 65.4 percent of its rebounding and 60.8 percent of its minutes.
- Stanford held each of its first two opponents in a season to less than 50 points for the first time in program history.
- Stanford has not started a season with back-to-back road wins since 2009-10.