Texas 2016-17 non-conference schedule features Stanford, Mississippi St., South Carolina, UConn, Tenn. & FSU
The Texas Longhorn 2016-17 non-conference schedule features six teams that advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16 last season. The lineup includes Connecticut, the defending NCAA Champion, in a December 4 matchup as part of the Jimmy V Classic. The upcoming Longhorn campaign begins at Stanford, a 2016 NCAA Elite 8 team, on November 13 in Palo Alto. Texas also travels to Starkville, Miss., to face NCAA Sweet 16 team Mississippi State on November 20. On Monday, February 13, Texas takes a break from Big 12 Conference play to travel to Florida State for a primetime game in Tallahassee against the Seminoles. FSU advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16 last season.
“We are looking forward to another challenging schedule and our players really embrace competition against some of the best teams in the nation,” Texas head coach Karen Aston said. “This year’s schedule offers us a good balance that features our traditional rivalries and a good mix of national contenders and opponents from within the state of Texas. Our strong non-conference schedules over the past several years have really given us great opportunities to asses the strengths and weaknesses of our team and gain some early confidence. This year’s schedule is no different, and will again prepare us well for the Big 12 Conference schedule and the NCAA Tournament.”
- Non-conference opponents compiled a combined 229-119 (.658) record last season.
- Six of Texas’ 11 non-league foes finished with an RPI in the top 21 a year ago. Six of the teams are ranked in the top-15, according to ESPN.com’s “Way Too Early Preseason Top-25,” which was announced on April 19.
- Texas has ranked among the top 20 in nation in terms of strength of schedule for each of the past three years. The Longhorns’ non-conference RPI has been in the top 21 the last three years, including third in 2014-15 and sixth in 2015-16.
- The Longhorns will play host to a pair of Southeastern Conference opponents each of which advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16 last season. SEC Champion South Carolina visits the Erwin Center on Thursday, December 1 in the third all-time meeting between the two teams.
- Tennessee and Texas will square off for the 35th consecutive year on Sunday, December 11 in Austin.
- The 2016-17 Big 12 Conference schedule will be announced at a later date, as will times and television information for the non-conference slate.
|11/6/2016||Tarleton State (Exhibition game)||Gregory Gym||TBA|
|11/13/2016||Stanford||Palo Alto, CA||TBA|
|11/16/2016||Houston Baptist||Austin, TX||TBA|
|11/20/2016||Mississippi State||Starkville, MS||TBA|
|11/23/2016||Northwestern State||Austin, TX||TBA|
|12/1/2016||South Carolina||Austin, TX||TBA|
|Jimmy V Classic|
|12/4/2016||UConn||Uncasville, CT||3:00 PM|
|12/15/2016||UT-Rio Grande Valley||Austin, TX||TBA|
|12/20/2016||New Orleans||Austin, TX||TBA|
|2/13/2017||Florida State||Tallahassee, FL||TBA|