Hoopfeed Poll for 3/7/17: Conference tourney surprises affect rankings, West Virginia re-enters poll
The No. 1 mainstay in the Hoopfeed poll, Connecticut rolled through the American Athletic Conference Tournament over the weekend to enter the final and take the title with a 100-44 rout of South Florida Monday night. The win marked the 107th straight triumph for the Huskies.
No. 2 Notre Dame also won its conference title, and moved up one place in the poll. It was the fourth straight championship in the ACC Tournament for the Irish. The team in the third spot, Maryland, also advanced a place. The Terrapins won their third straight Big Ten Tournament championship with a victory over Purdue.
Continuing the trend, the SEC Tournament Champions, South Carolina moved up a spot after defeating Mississippi State 59-49 in the conference title game.
No. 5 Baylor did not have the luck of the top four, falling to West Virginia,77-66, in in the Big 12’s conference championship. The Mountaineers re-entered the poll at No. 22 after toppling the Bears for WVU’s first-ever Big 12 tournament title.
Other poll notes
- Stanford rose three spots to No. 6 after earning its 12th Pac-12 Tournament Championship beating No. 8 Oregon State Sunday night. Last week the Beavers were at No. 6.
- Duke rose three spots as the Blue Devils played in the championship of the ACC Tournament falling to Notre Dame, 84-61.
- There is a three-way at the No. 10 position among Ohio State, Florida State and Washington.
- DePaul and NC State are tied at No. 17.
- Temple fell out of the poll. The Owls lost to South Florida in the semifinals of the American Athletic Conference tournament Sunday night.
- Other teams that received votes: Creighton, Dayton, Marquette, Purdue, South Florida, Oregon, Temple, Texas A&M, Arizona State, Green Bay.
|Hoopfeed Poll for 3/7/17|
- Yvonne Sanchez
- Viet Nguyen
- Joan Bonvicini
- Lisa Bodine
- Kevin Danna
- Kristopher Gardner
- Brenda VanLengen
- Cindy Brunson
- Michael Roberson
- Mel Greenberg
- Bobbie Kelsey Grayson
- Ben Parker
- Cheryl Coward