Las Vegas Aces forward/center A’ja Wilson unanimously selected as 2018 WNBA Rookie of the Year
Las Vegas Aces forward/center A’ja Wilson is the 2018 WNBA Rookie of the Year. The South Carolina graduate was a unanimous selection, receiving all 39 votes from a national panel of media.
During her first pro season, she averaged rookie highs of 20.7 points (tied for third in the WNBA), 8.0 rebounds (sixth) and 1.67 blocked shots (sixth) and started every game that the Aces played in their inaugural season in Las Vegas. She became the second rookie in WNBA history to average at least 20.0 points per game, joining Seimone Augustus (21.9 ppg in 2006). In addition, she shot a rookie-best 46.2 percent from the field and made 77.4 percent from the free throw line. She also set WNBA rookie records for free throws made (192) and attempted (248) in a season.
The 6-4 Wilson, a 2018 WNBA All-Star selection, swept all three WNBA Rookie of the Month awards this season. She was also the WNBA Western Conference Player of the Week for July 2-8.
- Wilson scored in double figures in every appearance.
- She recorded 30 or more points three times, highlighted by a career-high 35 points against the Indiana Fever on June 12.
- She registered 10 point-rebound double-doubles, including 25 points and a career-high 16 rebounds to go with six assists against the Seattle Storm on June 19.
- The Aces selected Wilson with the No. 1 overall pick of WNBA Draft 2018.
- Wilson was a four-time All-America selection, three-time SEC Player of the Year and the 2017-18 consensus National Player of the Year.
- Wilson follows former college teammate Allisha Gray of the Dallas Wings as the second consecutive South Carolina alum to win WNBA Rookie of the Year.
The league also named the 2018 All-Rookie team
- A’ja Wilson, Las Vegas Aces, forward/center
- Ariel Atkins, Washington Mystics, forward
- Diamond DeShields, Chicago Sky, guard
- Azurá Stevens, Dallas Wings, forward/center
- Kelsey Mitchell, Indiana Fever, guard