Baylor stays No. 1, Rice enters at No. 25 in Sport Tours International/Hoopfeed NCAA DI Top 25 Poll
Baylor holds on at No. 1, Oregon slips while Rice enters for first time
After a week of upsets among several ranked teams, Baylor remains the unanimous No. 1 program in the Sport Tours International/Hoopfeed poll while major shuffling occurred in the rest of the top ten.
Last week’s No. 2 team, Oregon, slipped to No. 3 after a loss to Oregon State Monday night in the second part of the “Civil War” series between the rivals. No. 8 Oregon State lost the first game Friday night but rebounded to beat the Ducks in front of a full house. Both games of the series were sold out.
No. 4 Louisville dropped to No. 3 after losing to this week’s No. 14, Miami, on Sunday. Meanwhile, the Hurricanes had the biggest positive movement in the poll, rising six places. Miami is riding a four-game streak that also includes wins over No. 5 Notre Dame.
No. 6 Mississippi State lost on the road to Texas A&M on Sunday. As a result, the Bulldogs fell two places while the Aggies gained two spots to land at No. 21.
No. 7 Stanford moved up three spots after a weekend where the Cardinal earned two away games at the Pac-12’s Los Angeles schools with wins at UCLA and USC.
Maryland suffered a loss to Iowa on Sunday which put the Terrapins two rungs lower at No. 10 while the Hawkeyes entered the top ten at No. 9.
Unranked St. John’ stunned Marquette Friday with an 81-74 victory. The Golden Eagles fell out of the top ten, sliding four places to No. 11.
Gonzaga also dropped four spots after a getting edged by BYU, 66-64 on Saturday. It was the second win for the Cougars over the Zags to complete a regular-season sweep.
Unranked Kansas State handed Texas a home defeat on Sunday. The Longhorns lost four spots to land at No. 19 in the poll.
This week’s No. 25 team, Rice, is an all-time newcomer. Under fourth-year head coach Tina Langley, the Owls keep breaking school records for consecutive wins. With a 15-game win streak under their belt, Rice sits atop Conference USA.
- Other teams that received votes: Missouri, BYU, Michigan State, Rutgers, UCLA, Minnesota, DePaul, TCU, West Virginia
- Dropped out: Michigan State, Rutgers
Sport Tours International/Hoopfeed NCAA DI Top 25 Poll for Feb. 19, 2019
The STI/Hoopfeed Poll is conducted weekly throughout the regular season using a panel of media members and other women’s basketball professionals.
The Her Hoop Stats Statistical Breakdown
The Her Hoop Stats staff provides some interesting statistical insight on teams in the top 25 and programs received votes in the poll.
- Baylor – All Around Dominance
- 51.4% field goal percentage is 4th in the country.
- 76.6% defensive rebounding rate is 1st in the country.
- 21.0% block rate is 1st in the country.
- UConn – Suffocating Defense
- 0.83 opponent points per scoring attempt is 4th in the country.
- 34.6% opponent field goal percentage is 6th in the country.
- 27.8 net points per game is 2nd in the country.
- Oregon – No Free Points
- 1.93 assist to turnover ratio is 1st in the country.
- 11.7% opponent free throw rate is 5th in the country.
- Louisville – Steady Offense
- 47.2% field goal percentage is 13th in the country.
- 1.14 points per scoring attempt is 11th in the country.
- Mississippi State – Dominance
- 31.7 average margin of victory is 1st in the country.
- 49.9% offensive rebounding rate is 1st in the country.
- 14.3% block rate is 9th in the country.
- Notre Dame – Efficient Scoring
- 87.2 points per game is 3rd in the country.
- 51.5% field goal percentage is 3rd in the country.
- Oregon State – Team Ball
- 17.0 assists per game is 19th in the country.
- 1.38 assist to turnover ratio is 7th in the country.
- Stanford – Paint Presence
- 38.0% opponent two-point shooting percentage is 11th in the country.
- 13.1% block rate is 18th in the country.
- Marquette – Clean Offense
- 14.8% turnover rate is 11th in the country.
- 1.38 assist to turnover ratio is 8th in the country.
- 7.5% opponent steal rate is 6th in the country.
- Iowa – High Scoring, But Deliberate
- 80.8 points per game is 11th in the country.
- 71.0 possessions per 40 minutes is in the bottom two thirds of the country.
- 52.2% field goal percentage is 1st in the country.
- Maryland – Share the Wealth
- 16.9 assists per game is 22nd in the country.
- Three players averaging more than 13.1 points per game.
- Three players in top 8% for points per scoring attempt.
- NC State – Attack the Paint
- 51.5% two-point shooting percentage is 21st in the country.
- 57.5% total rebounding rate is 4th in the country.
- Gonzaga – Win the Turnover Battle
- 0.64 opponent assist to turnover ratio is 40th in the country.
- 14.4% steal rate is 21st in the country.
- Syracuse – Solid Play, Tough Opponents
- 79.4 Her Hoop Stats Defensive Rating is 21st in the country.
- 63.5% opponent average win percentage is 5th in the country.
- Texas – Clean the Glass
- 43.2% offensive rebounding rate is 4th in the country.
- Iowa State – One Woman Wrecking Crew
- Bridget Carleton is one of the nation’s top players…
- 21.3 points per game is in the top 0.3% of the country.
- 8.4 rebounds per game is in the top 3% of the country.
- 4.3 assists per game is in the top 4% of the country.
- 2.3 steals per game is in the top 2% of the country.
- 1.3 blocks per game is in the top 4% of the country.
- Bridget Carleton is one of the nation’s top players…
- Arizona State – A Bit of Everything
- 45.0% opponent assisted shot rate is 8th in the country.
- 8.8% opponent steal rate is 38th in the country.
- 5.1% opponent block rate is 8th in the country.
- Miami (Fla.) – Sharing is Caring
- 15.9 assists per game is 38th in the country.
- South Carolina – Force the Ball Inside
- 23.2% opponent three-point rate is 23rd in the country.
- 21.8% of opponent’s points are from three which is 21st in the country.
- Drake – Everybody Eats
- 21.9 assists per game is 3rd in the country.
- 75.9% assisted shot rate is 1st in the country.
- Four players in top 9% in assists per game.
- Michigan State – Team Effort
- Five players…
- Averaging 9.3 or more points per game
- Averaging 2.0 or more assists per game
- Averaging 3.9 or more rebounds per game
- Florida State – Protect the Arc
- 59.9% of opponent’s points are from two which is 25th highest in the country.
- South Dakota – Fundamentals
- 75.5% rebounding rate is 3rd in the country.
- 79.2% free throw percentage is 3rd in the country.
- 13.4 turnovers per game is 34th in the country.
- Kentucky – Turnover Margin Is Key
- 26.7% opponent turnover rate is 4th in the country.
- 15.1% steal rate is 13th in the country.
- West Virginia – Trading 3’s for 2’s
- Mel Greenberg
- Joan Bonvicini
- Prentice Beverly
- Brenda VanLengen
- Charles Hallman
- Rhiannon Potkey
- Kristopher Gardner
- Jenn Hatfield (for Her Hoop Stats)
- Cindy Brunson
- Kevin Danna
- Jasmine Baker
- Ben Parker
- Viet Nguyen
- Michael Roberson
- Lisa Bodine
- LaChina Robinson
- Cheryl Coward