Sylvia Fowles of the Chicago Sky and Candace Parker of the of the Los Angeles Sparks, were named the WNBA’s Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month, respectively, for games played during May. Parker’s teammate, Nneka Ogwumike was named the Rookie of the Month.
From the league:
In leading the Sky to a 2-1 month, Fowles paced the league in scoring (22.3 ppg), rebounding (11.3 rpg) and field goal percentage (.711). Fowles recorded a double-double in all three contests, scoring at least 20 points in each game.
Highlights of Fowles’ month included:
- Recorded 23 points and 12 rebounds, and helped key a 29-8 first-half run in Chicago’s 69-57 victory over the Washington Mystics in the season opener May 19.
- Scored 21 points on 7-of-11 shooting and grabbed 10 rebounds in an 82-73 loss to the Indiana Fever.
- Posted her second 23-point, 12-rebound performance in a 77-63 victory at San Antonio May 30.
Parker led the Sparks to a 4-1 start in the 2012 campaign as she led the league in blocks (2.80 bpg), while ranking fourth in rebounding (8.2 rpg) and eighth in scoring (18.4 ppg). Perhaps Parker’s most impressive performance occurred in the Sparks’ home opener May 22 when she recorded 21 points, 10 rebounds, six blocks and three steals in a 74-61 win over rival Seattle.
Highlights of Parker’s month included:
- Netted 23 points and added six boards and two steals in a 92-84 loss at defending champion Minnesota May 24.
- Posted a 27-point, 11-rebound double-double to go along with four blocks in a 99-88 win at Phoenix May 26.
- Contributed 10 points, 10 rebounds, three steals and three blocks in a 76-75 home win vs. Tulsa May 29.
Switch to our mobile site