The slate is set for the 2009 WNBA Finals: Phoenix vs. Indiana
The Fever advanced to the WNBA finals for the first time in franchise history, beating the defending champion Detroit Shock, 72-67, on Saturday in Indianapolis in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals. Tammy Sutton-Brown led the Fever with 17 points and seven rebounds.
After the Fever game, the Mercury beat Los Angeles Sparks in Phoenix, 85-74 in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals. Diana Taurasi (pictured right) had 21 points, seven rebounds and three assists for the Mercury.
It was the last game for Sparks center Lisa Leslie. After thirteen seasons, the basketball legend retires with two WNBA titles, four gold medals and numerous other basketball awards.
“I feel great,” said Leslie postgame. â€œYou know why? Because I have no regrets. Every time I stepped out on that court I played as hard as I could, I’ve left everything out there.â€
â€œToday is my last day of playing professional basketball, but I will stay close to the game because I feel I need to be a part of it.â€
Phoenix makes its third finals appearance all-time and second showing in three seasons. The team defeated the defending champion Detroit Shock in five games in the 2007 finals.
The complete finals schedule (all times Eastern):
- Tuesday, Sept. 29 US Airways Center, Phoenix 9:00pm ESPN2
- Thursday, Oct. 1 US Airways Center, Phoenix 9:00pm ESPN2
- Sunday, Oct. 4 Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis 4:00pm ESPN2
- Wednesday, Oct. 7 (if necessary) Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis 7:30pm ESPN2
- Friday, Oct. 9 (if necessary) US Airways Center, Phoenix 9:00pm ESPN2