#Rio2016 Gold medal game notes: USA vs. Spain by the numbers
Gold Medal Game, 2:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. PT
In order to win the gold medal, the USA will have to go through Spain for the second time in the Rio Games. The top two teams in Group B met back on Aug. 8 in a lopsided American victory, 103-63. This will be the first time since 1996 the U.S. has met an opponent twice during the same Summer Games. On the way to the gold in 1996, the USA took down Australia in group play and in the medal semifinal round.
USA Probable Starters
- Seimone Augustus (6.9 ppg., 3.2 rpg., 3.4 apg.)
- Tina Charles (9.9 ppg., 4.3 rpg., 2.9 apg.)
- Brittney Griner (10.6 ppg., 5.4 rpg., 1.6 bpg.)
- Maya Moore (11.7 ppg., 5.7 rpg., 4.0 apg.)
- Diana Taurasi (15.4 ppg., 2.4 rpg., 3.3 apg.)
Spain Probable Starters
- Anna Cruz (8.4 ppg., 4.1 rpg., 3.0 apg)
- Astour Ndour (10.0 ppg., 4.5 rpg., 1.9 bpg.)
- Laura Nicholls (8.6 ppg., 8.6 rpg., 1.6 apg.)
- Laia Palau (4.3 ppg., 2.4 rpg., 4.9 apg)
- Alba Torrens (16.1 ppg., 5.9 rpg., 3.0 apg.)
- The USA and Spain have met four times in the Olympics and World Championships, with the U.S. leading the all-time series 4-0.
- The last meeting between the U.S. and Spain before 2016 took place in 2008. The USA never trailed in the final three periods of the 93-55 victory.
- The U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team is now one win away from a sixth straight gold medal.
- The USA has outscored opponents in its seven games by a margin of 38.4 points per game.
- The U.S. is averaging 102.3 ppg. and 27.9 assists per game as a team, while holding opponents to 63.9 ppg.
- Sue Bird, Tamika Catchings and Diana Taurasi could all join an elite class of superstars, Teresa Edwards and Lisa Leslie, as the only athletes in history with four Olympic gold medals in basketball. Bird, Catchings and Taurasi were members of the 2004, 2008 and 2012 gold medal-winning teams, and have never lost in Olympic competition.
- Seimone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles also have a chance to add to their legacy by collecting a third Olympic gold medal to join Katie Smith, 2016 U.S. assistant coach Dawn Staley and Sheryl Swoopes.
USA vs. Spain By the Numbers
|USA||USA opponent||Spain||Spain opponent|
|Field Goals Made||40.4||23.3||28.0||24.4|
|2-Points Field Goals Made||33.3||15.9||24.4||20.9|
|3-Points Field Goals Made||7.0||7.4||3.6||5.7|
|Free Throws Made||14.4||9.9||14.6||3.6|
|Points from Turnovers||24.6||13.0||14.7||12.7|
|Points in the Paint||54.3||23.7||37.1||34.3|
|Second Chance Points||14.4||9.4||12.3||8.1|
|Fast Break Points||23.6||7.1||11.7||8.6|