#Rio2016 Semifinal Game Notes: France vs. USA
France (4-2) vs. USA (6-0), 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m PT, Barra Carioca Arena 1
- The USA and France have met nine times in the Olympics and FIBA World Championships, with the U.S. leading the all-time series 8-1.
The most recent matchup in the Olympics came in 2012 for the gold medal, which ended up as an 86-50 U.S. win.
- The lone loss for the U.S. against France came in 1971 at the FIBA World Championship.
- Valeriane Ayayi, Olivia Epoupa and Gaelle Skrela have started every game in the 2016 Olympics for France.
- Epoupa has been the leading scorer for France, averaging 10.8 ppg. as well as dishing out a team-high 4.7 assists
per game and 3.3 steals per game on the defensive end.
- France’s Sandrine Gruda and Astou Ndour (Spain) are the only players entering the semifinals with more than one double-double. They have two each.
- This is the ninth trip to the semifinal round for the U.S. The team has advanced to the gold medal game eight times (the 1976 Olympic tournament was played in a round-robin fomat).
- The USA has outscored opponents in its six games by a margin of 41.7 points per game, and is averaging 105.0 ppg. and 30.2 assists per game as a team, while holding opponents to 63.3 ppg.
- After her 19-point performance on Monday, Diana Taurasi raised her average to the 11th best in the 2016 Olympics. Maya Moore has averaged 13.3 points over the last three victories for the U.S., including 19 against Japan on 7-of-9 shooting.
- The USA’s Olympic winning streak stands at 47-0, dating back to the 1992 bronze medal game, and its all-time Olympic record is 64-3.
- The winner of the game will meet the winner of the Spain vs. Serbia semifinal matchup.
USA vs. France in Olympics/World Champs. (8-1)
W/L Score Year Event
W, 94-72, 2014, WC
W, 86-50, 2012, OLY
W, 81-60, 2010, WC
W, 76-41, 2006, WC
W, 101-68, 2002, WC
W, 80-59, 1979, WC
L, 68-51, 1971, WC
W, 48-37, 1964, WC
W, 41-37, 1953, WC
WC = World Championships, OLY = Olympics
USA Probable Starters
- Tina Charles (10.8 ppg., 5.0 rpg., 3.0 apg.)
- Brittney Griner (10.7 ppg., 5.3 rpg., 1.8 bpg.)
- Maya Moore (11.2 ppg., 5.5 rpg., 4.2 apg.)
- Diana Taurasi (15.0 ppg., 2.0 rpg., 3.3 apg.)
- Lindsay Whalen (6.8 ppg., 3.0 apg.)
France Probable Starters
- Valeriane Ayayi (8.2 ppg., 4.3 rpg.)
- Olivia Epoupa (10.8 ppg., 4.8 rpg., 4.7 apg)
- Endy Miyem (10.0 ppg., 4.5 rpg., 2.3 apg.)
- Gaelle Skrela (4.7 ppg., 1.7 rpg., 1.7 apg.)
- Isabelle Yacoubou (8.2 ppg., 5.2 rpg.)
Total Points in the Rio Games So Far
|Pts In the Paint||2nd Chance Pts
|USA||144/72||340 (170/243) 70%||79/55||158/38||321/122|
|France||102/101||176 (88/192) 46%||74/38||47/68||166/99|