The Women’s National Basketball Players Association joins other unions to launch brand management and sports licensing agency
The Women’s National Basketball Players Association joined unions from other leagues to launch a full-service brand management and sports licensing business to advance athlete marketing opportunities.
Other founding partners in the athlete-driven agency, called REP Worldwide (Representing Every Player), include the NFL Players Inc. and the U.S. Women’s National Team Players Association (USWNTPA). The USWNTPA represents women soccer players in the United States.
“On behalf of the WNBPA executive committee and the player membership, we are thrilled with this opportunity and see it as a great fit,” said Nneka Ogwumike, the president of the WNBPA’s executive committee. “NFL Players Inc’s recognition of the WNBPA as a founder and an equity partner creates a collaboration that not only aligns with our vision, but that also strengthens our collective voice.”
The NFLPA is the majority shareholder of REP Worldwide. Initial representation services will include:
- Engaging in strategic planning
- Leveraging athlete intellectual property group rights
- Structuring licenses and sponsorships
- Consulting on marketing activation strategy
- Driving support for players and licensees at the retail level
- Developing unique content opportunities across platforms via ACE Media, the NFLPA’s content and production subsidiary.
The group will have an athlete advisory board and an executive board, each comprised of representatives from its founding partners.