Michigan State enters the Sport Tours International/Hoopfeed NCAA DI Top 25 Poll; UConn remains No. 1
With a big win over Oregon, Michigan State enters the poll for the first time this season
After taking down last week’s No. 3 team Oregon, Michigan State (8-1) barged into this week’s Sport Tours International/Hoopfeed Poll at No. 22. Feeling comfortable at home in East Lansing, the Spartans showed no fear in toppling the Ducks on Sunday with the final dagger coming from senior center Jenna Allen. With a three-point shot in the last 34.7 seconds, Allen helped seal the 88-82 win for Michigan State. She led her team with 27 points.
UConn remained at the top of the poll for the second week in a row. The Huskies routed Seton Hall last week 99-61. Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville and Mississippi State round out the top five. Maryland moved up one space to the No. 6 spot. Oregon State advanced a spot to No. 7. After Sunday’s defeat, Oregon fell five places to No. 8 while undefeated Tennessee held steady at No. 9 and NC State remained at No. 10.
After surviving a hard-fought overtime battle at West Coast Conference foe Saint Mary’s on Saturday, California inched up two spots to No. 12. Gonzaga also had positive movement as the Zags increased their poll ranking from No. 24 to No. 21 after beating Pac-12 Conference team Washington State, 76-53.
South Carolina continued to slide down the rankings landing at No. 24 as other teams in the bottom half of the poll performed well against tough opponents.
Drake fell out of the poll after losing at South Dakota State on Saturday. The Jackrabbits beat the Bulldogs 80-71.
- Teams receiving votes: Drake, Texas A & M, USC, West Virginia, Utah, Virginia Tech, Indiana, South Dakota, Florida State.
- Dropped out: Drake.
Sport Tours International/Hoopfeed NCAA DI Top 25 Poll for Dec. 11, 2018
The STI/Hoopfeed Poll is conducted weekly throughout the regular season using a panel of media members and other women’s basketball professionals. Total points are based on 25 points for first place through one point for 25th.
The Her Hoop Stats Statistical Breakdown
The Her Hoop Stats staff provides some interesting statistical insight on teams in the top 25 and programs received votes in the poll.
UConn – Suffocating Defense
- 0.78 opponent points per scoring attempt is 3rd in the country.
- 31.9% opponent field goal percentage is 6th in the country.
- 34.9 net points per game is 2nd in the country.
Mississippi State – Dominance
- 41.8 average margin of victory is 1st in the country
- 51.2% offensive rebounding rate is 1st in the country
- 8.0 blocks per game is 1st in the country
Louisville – Steady Offense
- 51.1% field goal percentage is 6th in the country.
- 1.21 points per scoring attempt is 5th in the country.
Notre Dame – Efficient Scoring
- 86.8 points per game is 5th in the country.
- 48.9% field goal percentage is 10th in the country.
Baylor – All Around Dominance
- 55.9% field goal percentage is 1st in the country.
- 76.5% defensive rebounding rate is 5th in the country.
- 18.2% block rate is 3rd in the country.
Oregon – No Free Points
- 1.82 assist to turnover ratio is 2nd in the country.
- 10.0% opponent free throw rate is 2nd in the country.
Oregon State – Team Ball
- 20.8 assists per game is 8th in the country.
- 1.39 assist to turnover ratio is 8th in the country.
Maryland – Share The Wealth
- 19.3 assists per game is 14th in the country.
- Three players in double-digit scoring.
- Two players in top 10% for points per scoring attempt.
Tennessee – Generating Extra Chances
- 12.0 steals per game is 12th in the country.
- 43.8% offensive rebounding rate is 11th in the country.
Stanford – Paint Presence
- 36.0% opponent two-point shooting percentage is 15th in the country.
- 16.1% block rate is 6th in the country.
- 18.6% opponent offensive rebounding rate is 1st in the country.
NC State – Protect The Ball
- 2.1 opponent blocks per game is 42nd in the country.
- 1.20 assist to turnover ratio is top 6% in the country.
Minnesota – Easy Does It
- 71.2 possessions per 40 minutes is in bottom 50% of the country.
- 51.2 opponent points per game is 4th in the country.
- 18.3% points from three-point range is the 24th lowest in the country.
Syracuse – Solid Play, Tough Opponents
- Games against top teams like Oregon (L, 75-73), Texas A&M (W, 75-65) ,
- and Minnesota mean stats don’t look as impressive.
- Held Oregon to season low 75 points.
Drake – Everybody Eats
- 21.3 assists per game is 5th in the country.
- 75.9% assisted shot rate is 2nd in the country.
- Four players in top 15% in assists per game.
DePaul – Let It Fly
- 45.9% of points are from three which is 4th most in the country.
- 47.4% of shots are from three which is 5th in the country.
Iowa – High Scoring, But Deliberate
- 84.3 points per game is 14th in the country.
- 72.8 possessions per 40 minutes is in the bottom two-thirds of the country.
- 52.2% field goal percentage is 2nd in the country.
- 1.22 points per scoring attempt is 3rd in the country.
Texas – Clean Defense
- 33.8% opponent field goal percentage is 21st in the country.
- 0.83 opponent points per scoring attempt is 20th in the country.
Missouri – Stifling Defense
- 7.2 opponent assists per game is 1st in the country.
- 71.3% defensive rebounding rate is top 18% in the country.
Marquette – Clean Offense
- 15.3% turnover rate is 20th in the country.
- 1.35 assist to turnover ratio is 12th in the country.
- 6.1% opponent steal rate is 2nd in the country.
Arizona State – Role Players
- Scorer – Kianna Ibis is averaging 12.1 points per game, which
- is in the top 33% of the country.
- Passer – Reili Richardson is averaging 5.6 assists per game, which
- is in the top 2% of the country.
- Rebounder – Sophia Elenga is averaging 7.0 rebounds per game, which
- is in the top 10% of the country.
- Facilitator – Jamie Ruden’s usage rate of 35.6% is in the top 1% of the country.
- Dead-Eye – Jamie Loera’s points per scoring attempt of 1.20 is in the top 10% in the country.
Kentucky – Turnover Margin Is Key
- 39.2% opponent turnover rate is 1st in the country.
- 17.5% steal rate is 3rd in the country.
- 14.5% turnover rate is 12th in the country.
South Carolina – Limit Scoring Chances
- 7.2 blocks per game is 3rd in the country.
California – Rebounding Power
- 56.2% total rebounding rate is top 28th in the country.
- 74.1% defensive rebounding rate is 21st in the country.
Gonzaga – Win The Turnover Battle
- 0.59 opponent assist to turnovers ratio is 46th in the country.
- 14.6% steal rate is 36th in the country.
Michigan State – Team Effort
- Five players…
- Averaging 9.4 or more points per game
- Averaging 2.0 or more assists per game
- Averaging 4.2 or more rebounds per game
- Mel Greenberg
- Joan Bonvicini
- Prentice Beverly
- Brenda VanLengen
- Charles Hallman
- Rhiannon Potkey
- Kristopher Gardner
- Jenn Hatfield (for Her Hoop Stats)
- Cindy Brunson
- Kevin Danna
- Jacob Rayburn
- Jasmine Baker
- Ben Parker
- Viet Nguyen
- Michael Roberson
- Lisa Bodine
- LaChina Robinson
- Ari Chambers
- Cheryl Coward