NC State enters top ten in Sport Tours International/Hoopfeed NCAA DI Top 25 Poll
Undefeated NC State moves into top ten
The Her Hoop Stats Breakdown || Voting panel
The last SportTours International/Hoopfeed Poll of the year reveals minor movement in the poll with the exception of a couple of teams. Connecticut stays in the top position after a successful trip across the country taking down Oklahoma and No. 13 California in hard-fought road battles.
Notre Dame moves back into the No. 3 spot after beating No. 22 Marquette. Louisville, Maryland and Oregon round out the top five.
Mississippi State fell three places to No. 7. The Bulldogs lost to No. 5 Oregon last Tuesday before recovering to defeat Washington seven days ago.
NC State moved into the No. 10 spot. The Wolfpack remain undefeated at 12-0 after routing Chattanooga last Wednesday. NC State remains one of just nine unbeaten teams left in Division I.
South Carolina moved back into the rankings at No. 25 after falling out last week. The Gamecocks beat head coach Dawn Staley’s former team, Temple, 88-60, Friday night.
South Dakota lost its place at No. 25 and enter the New Year unranked. The Coyotes lost to Indiana at the Puerto Rico Classic last Friday.
- Other teams that received votes: Drake, Indiana, Virginia Tech, Iowa State, Utah, Auburn, South Dakota, West Virginia, Missouri, Florida State.
- Dropped out: South Dakota.
Sport Tours International/Hoopfeed NCAA DI Top 25 Poll for Dec. 27, 2018
|7||Mississippi State (11-1)||4||-3|
|9||NC State (12-0)||10||1|
|11||Oregon State (9-2)||11||0|
|17||Arizona State (9-2)||16||-1|
|21||Michigan State (10-1)||22||1|
|23||Texas A&M (10-2)||23||0|
|25||South Carolina (7-4)||NR||N/A|
The STI/Hoopfeed Poll is conducted weekly throughout the regular season using a panel of media members and other women’s basketball professionals. Total points are based on 25 points for first place through one point for 25th.
This week’s AP Poll || USA Today Coaches Poll
The Her Hoop Stats Statistical Breakdown
The Her Hoop Stats staff provides some interesting statistical insight on teams in the top 25 and programs received votes in the poll.
UConn – Suffocating Defense
- 0.80 opponent points per scoring attempt is 5th in the country.
- 33.3% opponent field goal percentage is 11th in the country.
- 30.3 net points per game is 2nd in the country.
Louisville – Steady Offense
- 50.3% field goal percentage is 7th in the country.
- 1.19 points per scoring attempt is 6th in the country.
Notre Dame – Efficient Scoring
- 88.8 points per game is 3rd in the country.
- 51.8% field goal percentage is 5th in the country.
Oregon – No Free Points
- 1.92 assist to turnover ratio is 1st in the country.
- 11.9% opponent free throw rate is 14th in the country.
Stanford – Paint Presence
- 36.4% opponent two-point shooting percentage is 17th in the country.
- 13.5% block rate is 25th in the country.
- 23.2% opponent offensive rebounding rate is 4th in the country.
Mississippi State – Dominance
- 37.7 average margin of victory is 1st in the country.
- 50.5% offensive rebounding rate is 1st in the country.
- 7.1 blocks per game is 2nd in the country.
Baylor – All Around Dominance
- 53.4% field goal percentage is 1st in the country.
- 77.5% defensive rebounding rate is 1st in the country.
- 19.7% block rate is 1st in the country.
Maryland – Share The Wealth
- 18.9 assists per game is 13th in the country.
- Four players in double-digit scoring.
- Two players in top 11% for points per scoring attempt.
Tennessee – Generating Extra Chances
- 11.0 steals per game is 24th in the country.
- 42.2% offensive rebounding rate is 13th in the country.
Oregon State – Team Ball
- 19.4 assists per game is 11th in the country.
- 1.37 assist to turnover ratio is 10th in the country.
NC State – Protect The Ball
- Opponent steal rate and block rate are top 75 in the country.
- 1.24 assist to turnover ratio is 20th in the country.
Minnesota – Easy Does It
- 71.9 possessions per 40 minutes is in bottom 60% of the country.
- 53.1 opponent points per game is 13th in the country.
- 19.1% points from three-point range is the 28th lowest in the country.
Syracuse – Solid Play, Tough Opponents
- 72.2 Her Hoop Stats Defensive Rating is 4th in the country.
- Held Oregon to season low 75 points.
Iowa – High Scoring, But Deliberate
- 84.8 points per game is 10th in the country.
- 72.2 possessions per 40 minutes is in the bottom two-thirds of the country.
- 52.6% field goal percentage is 2nd in the country.
- 1.22 points per scoring attempt is 2nd in the country.
DePaul – Let It Fly
- 45.0% of points are from three which is 4th most in the country.
- 47.0% of shots are from three which is 3rd in the country.
Texas – Clean Defense
- 34.5% opponent field goal percentage is 23rd in the country.
- 0.86 opponent points per scoring attempt is 30th in the country.
Marquette – Clean Offense
- 14.9% turnover rate is 14th in the country.
- 1.42 assist to turnover ratio is 8th in the country.
- 6.2% opponent steal rate is 1st in the country.
Kentucky – Turnover Margin Is Key
- 29.3% opponent turnover rate is 1st in the country.
- 17.4% steal rate is 2nd in the country.
- 14.9% turnover rate is 12th in the country.
Drake – Everybody Eats
- 21.5 assists per game is 4th in the country.
- 76.1% assisted shot rate is 1st in the country.
- Five players in top 11% in assists per game.
California – Rebounding Power
- 55.6% total rebounding rate is 33rd in the country.
- 73.0% defensive rebounding rate is 29th in the country.
Michigan State – Team Effort
- Averaging 10.1 or more points per game
- Averaging 2.2 or more assists per game
- Averaging 4.2 or more rebounds per game
Gonzaga – Win The Turnover Battle
- 0.62 opponent assist to turnover ratio is 58th in the country.
- 14.3% steal rate is 36th in the country.
Texas A&M – Disrupt
- 49.8% opponent assisted shot rate is 43rd in the country.
- 0.65 opponent assist to turnover rate is 80th in the country.
South Dakota – Take What’s Given
Top 30 in…
- Free throw percentage, 79.1%
- Defensive rebounding rate, 75.2%
- Three pointers attempted, 286.
- Mel Greenberg
- Joan Bonvicini
- Prentice Beverly
- Brenda VanLengen
- Charles Hallman
- Rhiannon Potkey
- Kristopher Gardner
- Jenn Hatfield (for Her Hoop Stats)
- Cindy Brunson
- Kevin Danna
- Jacob Rayburn
- Jasmine Baker
- Ben Parker
- Viet Nguyen
- Michael Roberson
- Lisa Bodine
- LaChina Robinson
- Ari Chambers
- Cheryl Coward