BTN to air rarely seen footage from the 1982 AIAW Championship featuring Rutgers and Texas
BTN will air rarely seen footage from the 1982 AIAW Championship featuring Rutgers and Texas on Saturday, May 9 at 8 p.m. ET. The game was the final AIAW title game and was never broadcasted on television. The championship comes to life again with recently unearthed footage matched with Rutgers Student Radio audio.
The game featured two of the sport’s powers – Texas – led by legendary head coach Jody Conradt – was riding a 32-game win streak and was seen as the favorite. Rutgers – under the direction of head coach Theresa Grentz – sported a senior-laden team led by twins Patty and Mary Coyle, June Olkowski and Chris Dailey. In the only national championship game ever played at The Palestra in Philadelphia – the Scarlet Knights rode a second-half surge to defeat the Longhorns and capture Rutgers’ only national championship in women’s basketball.
The airing of the historic moment in women’s basketball will coincide with live tweeting with the hashtag #82RutgersAIAWChamps from:
- The head coach of Rutgers at the time, Grentz (@TheresaGrentz12)
- 1982 AIAW Championship Game MVP Patty Coyle (@coachcoyle)
- 1982 captain and current UConn Women’s Basketball assistant Chris Dailey (@cduconn)
- Current Rutgers head coach C. Vivian Stringer (@cvivianstringer)
- BTN Women’s Basketball Play-by-Play announcer Lisa Byington (@lisabyington)
- Other former players and media including @Hoopfeed
The game can also be viewed via the Fox Sports app.
BTN’s B1G Video Recall hosted by Lisa Byington and featuring Grentz and Dailey view portions of the game and share their memories.