Connecticut Sun’s Stephanie White named 2023 WNBA Coach of the Year
Connecticut Sun head coach Stephanie White is the 2023 WNBA Coach of the Year.
In a vote by a national panel consisting of 60 sportswriters and broadcasters, White secured 36 votes, solidifying her position at the top. Latricia Trammell of the Dallas Wings came in second with 11 votes, while Sandy Brondello of the New York Liberty secured third place with six votes. Becky Hammon of the Las Vegas Aces received three votes, and Cheryl Reeve of the Minnesota Lynx and Tanisha Wright of the Atlanta Dream each received two votes.
In her third season as a WNBA head coach, and her inaugural one with the Sun, White expertly steered Connecticut to a remarkable 27-13 record, establishing a new franchise record for victories in a single season. The Sun, seeded third in the playoffs, are currently in pursuit of their first-ever WNBA championship. Today, the Sun host the sixth-seeded Lynx in Game 2 of the first-round playoff series at 1 p.m. ET on ESPN, holding a 1-0 lead in the series.
White is the fourth former WNBA player to win the award, joining Becky Hammon (2022), Sandy Brondello (2014), and Suzie McConnell-Serio (2004). She was named the WNBA Coach of the Month for May after leading the team to a 4-1 record, marking the best start by a Sun head coach in their debut season with the franchise. She was also a head coach in the 2023 WNBA All-Star Game after coaching the Sun to the second-best record (12-4) in the league through June.
Previous WNBA Coach of the Year Winners
- 2022 Becky Hammon Las Vegas Aces
- 2021 Curt Miller Connecticut Sun
- 2020 Cheryl Reeve Minnesota Lynx
- 2019 James Wade Chicago Sky
- 2018 Nicki Collen Atlanta Dream
- 2017 Curt Miller Connecticut Sun
- 2016 Cheryl Reeve Minnesota Lynx
- 2015 Bill Laimbeer New York Liberty
- 2014 Sandy Brondello Phoenix Mercury
- 2013 Mike Thibault Washington Mystics
- 2012 Carol Ross Los Angeles Sparks
- 2011 Cheryl Reeve Minnesota Lynx
- 2010 Brian Agler Seattle Storm
- 2009 Marynell Meadors Atlanta Dream
- 2008 Mike Thibault Connecticut Sun
- 2007 Dan Hughes San Antonio Silver Stars
- 2006 Mike Thibault Connecticut Sun
- 2005 John Whisenant Sacramento Monarchs
- 2004 Suzie McConnell-Serio Minnesota Lynx
- 2003 Bill Laimbeer Detroit Shock
- 2002 Marianne Stanley Washington Mystics
- 2001 Dan Hughes Cleveland Rockers
- 2000 Michael Cooper Los Angeles Sparks
- 1999 Van Chancellor Houston Comets
- 1998 Van Chancellor Houston Comets
- 1997 Van Chancellor Houston Comets