Mississippi State’s Vic Schaefer named 2018 United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division I National Coach Of The Year
Mississippi State head coach Vic Schaefer is the 2018 United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division I National Coach of the Year, the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association announced today. He will be presented with the Pat Summitt Trophy during the 2018 WBCA Convention, which will be held in conjunction with the Final Four in Columbus, Ohio. This season Schaefer coached the Bulldogs to a perfect 30-0 regular-season record and the program’s first-ever SEC regular-season title.
“The WBCA is proud to name Vic Schaefer as the 2018 United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division I National Coach of the Year,” WBCA Executive Director Danielle Donehew said. “Vic is a dedicated and passionate teacher of the game, as displayed by the excellence of his student-athletes. He was chosen by vote of his peers and is very deserving of the WBCA’s highest praise for the coaching profession.
Schaefer also won the 2018 SEC Coach of the Year. The Bulldogs will play in their third-straight Sweet Sixteen this weekend.
The United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division I National Coach of the Year is selected by a committee of coaches from among the regional coaches of the year who are nominated and selected by their peers. This year’s United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division I Regional Coaches of the Year are:
- Muffet McGraw, University of Notre Dame
- Jeff Walz, University of Louisville
- Robin Pingeton, University of Missouri
- Vic Schaefer, Mississippi State University
- Kim Mulkey, Baylor University
- Charlotte Smith, Elon University
- Lisa Bluder, University of Iowa
- Brenda Frese, University of Maryland
- Cori Close, University of California-Los Angeles
- Jennifer Gross, University of California-Davis